on this page
What is myGov
myGov gives you access to a range of government services online.
If you create a myGov account, you can link to Centrelink, Medicare or Child Support. You can also:
- get messages sent to your secure myGov Inbox
- update your personal details with Centrelink and Medicare
- be confident your personal information is secure
- access your online accounts overseas
- link to other government services.
myGov will add more features over time.
What government services you can access
You can link these government services to your myGov account:
- Australian JobSearch
- Australian Taxation Office
- Child Support
- Department of Health Applications Portal
- Department of Veterans' Affairs
- HousingVic Online Services
- My Aged Care
- My Health Record
- National Cancer Screening Register
- National Disability Insurance Scheme
- National Redress Scheme
- State Revenue Office Victoria.
myGov will add more services over time.
There are 2 ways to sign in to your myGov account. Depending on what you have set up, you can use either:
- myGov sign in details
- your Digital Identity.
Using your myGov sign in details
To sign in to myGov, enter your username, password and a code or answer to a secret question.
Your username may be any of these:
- the email address you used to create your myGov account
- your 8 digit username emailed to you when you created your account
- your mobile number, if you’ve enabled this option.
Then, enter one of these:
- a code sent by SMS to your mobile phone
- a code from the myGov Code Generator app
- the answer to your secret question.
You can change the way you sign in to your myGov account any time. To do this, sign in to your myGov account and select Account settings, then Sign-in options.
If you forget your username or password you can recover them. Go to the myGov website and select Forgot username or Forgot password.
Codes sent by SMS to your mobile phone
If you set up this option, you’ll get a code sent by SMS to your mobile phone. It’s sent to the mobile number registered in your myGov account. You have 10 minutes to use the code and you can only use it once. You’ll get a new code each time you sign in.
Before you change your mobile number, you must update the number in your myGov account first. If you don’t, you won’t get the SMS code. You’ll need to call the myGov help desk to create a new account.
To update your mobile number, go to Account settings, then Mobile number and enter the new number.
If you’re overseas and want to use codes sent by SMS
To use codes sent by SMS while you’re overseas, you need to:
- set up mobile roaming with your Australian telephone service provider before you travel
- be using the same Australian number registered in your myGov account.
Codes from the myGov Code Generator app
If you can’t get codes sent by SMS, you can get codes from the myGov Code Generator app instead. This is useful if you have limited or no mobile reception.
You can’t sign in to myGov through the app. You can only sign in to your myGov account through the myGov website.
The app will display a new code every 30 seconds. You have a further 30 seconds to enter this code to sign in to your myGov account. You can only use this code once and you need a new code each time you sign in.
Have a sign-in backup
If you use the app, make sure you have a sign in back-up option.
If you don’t, you’ll lose access to your account if you do any of these:
- delete the app from your device before you change your account sign in options
- lose your device with the app installed
- change device and don’t update your myGov Account settings first.
To set up a sign in back up, turn on Receive codes by SMS, in your Sign-in options. You need to make sure your mobile phone number is current in your Sign-in settings. Go to the myGov website help for more information.
Go to myGov help for instructions on how to access your account if you do any of these:
- delete the app from your device
- lose your device
- change your device.
The myGov Code Generator app is available free from the App Store or Google Play.
If you’re overseas
Before you travel overseas, download and set up the myGov Code Generator app. While you’re away, you can get codes from the app to sign in to your myGov account.
If you use secret question answers to sign in to myGov, you can set up the app while you’re overseas. You’ll need internet access to download and set up the app. Once set up, you won’t need internet to get your access codes.
If you have limited mobile reception
If you’re in an area with limited reception, it might be difficult to get a code by SMS. Download and set up the myGov Code Generator app when you have mobile reception. Once it’s set up, you can then get codes from the app to sign in to your myGov account.
Secret questions and answers
When you create your myGov account, you’ll need to set up 3 secret questions and answers. There are 7 questions you can choose from or you can write your own.
When you sign in this way, your answer must match what you entered when you created your account.
If you want to link your myGov account to the Australian Taxation Office, you can’t sign in this way. You need to use a code sent by SMS or from the myGov Code Generator app to sign in.
Using your Digital Identity to sign in
You can sign in to myGov using your Digital Identity, if it’s already connected. Select Continue with Digital Identity and follow the steps.
Connecting your Digital Identity to myGov
To connect your Digital Identity to your myGov account, follow these steps:
- Select Continue with Digital Identity.
- Select your Identity Provider and follow the prompts.
- Give Your Consent to share your details with myGov.
Where to get help with your myGov account
If you need help with your myGov account or linking to Centrelink, Medicare or Child Support you can:
- read our myGov online guides, also translated in some languages
- ask the myGov Twitter account
- ask the myGov’s digital assistant on the myGov website
- call the myGov helpdesk.