on this page
When you apply to work with us
People with disability who apply for a job with us can ask for adjustments during the application process.
Let us know if you need help to do any of the following:
- submit your application
- attend a job interview
- attend an assessment centre.
You can let us know what help you need by either:
- emailing recruitment.management
- calling 1800 906 144, then selecting option 1 Services Australia staff then option 1 HR Services followed by option 3 Recruitment Services.
We also take part in the Australian Public Service (APS) RecruitAbility Scheme. The scheme supports people with disability to get a job in the APS.
Read about our employment support for people with disability.
How we support diversity and inclusion in Services Australia
We value our staff for their unique qualities, ideas and insights. People bring a range of skills and perspectives to the workplace. This may be due to gender, race, ethnicity, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, intersex status or other differences. We recognise that every story counts.
We value inclusion and diversity and support our staff to reach their full potential. Our workplace inclusion and diversity strategy, policies and initiatives define how we:
- support flexible working arrangements such as part time work and flexible hours
- provide training for staff including Indigenous Cultural Awareness, Disability Awareness and Mental Health First Aid
- support women as an accredited Breastfeeding Friendly Workplace. Provide women the space, time and support to breastfeed or express at work
- support our LGBTI+ staff with inclusive HR policies
- celebrate days and events to promote diversity awareness and inclusion
- support diversity specific employee networks for staff to connect and share their views, experiences and information.
What our staff have to say
Our diversity is our strength. It makes a difference to the people who need us and in our everyday working relationships. Hear from some of our staff about how their diversity is recognised and valued.
“I feel very safe because it’s a culturally safe environment to work in.”
“My disability doesn’t change my ability to do my work.”
“Australia has one of the most culturally and linguistically diverse population in the world. So if we can understand the diversity and different cultural backgrounds, then we can do more efficient customer service delivery.”
“The benefits of an inclusive culture is it represents the broader Australian community.”
“An inclusive workplace means a happier workplace, so people will come to work feeling worthy that they’ve got a place to come to. They’ll be happier. They’ll be more productive in the long run which will benefit Services Australia as well.”
Our Workplace Inclusion and Diversity Strategy is our commitment to:
- Culture, to promote the value that diversity brings to the workplace.
- Capability, to build a diverse workforce for the future to drive greater productivity, expertise and agility.
- Connection, recognising individuality, authenticity and belonging.
Where to find more information
- Whole of Government Recruitment Programs on the Australian Public Service Commission website
- Employment support for people with disability
- Employment support for LGBTI+ staff.
The RecruitAbility Scheme aims to build the confidence and ability of candidates with disability to compete for APS vacancies.
Some of our positions are only available to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.