You can’t register for the Pension Bonus Scheme anymore. However, if your partner was a member, you may still claim and get a Pension Bonus Bereavement Payment.
You can get the Pension Bonus Bereavement Payment if your partner meets all of the following:
- died on or after 1 January 2008
- was a Pension Bonus Scheme member for at least 12 months
- didn’t successfully claim Age Pension and Pension Bonus before they died
- didn’t get an income support payment except Carer Payment, or Carer Service Pension since first qualifying for Age Pension
- passed the work test rules for at least 12 months from the date their membership started.
You must meet all of the following:
- residence rules
- have income and assets below the limits
- submit your claim within 26 weeks of your partner's death, unless you get an extension.
If you’re a member
You can’t register for the Pension Bonus Scheme anymore. If you’re registered for the scheme, you may get a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.
You can claim Age Pension and your own pension bonus If you get Pension Bonus Bereavement Payment and you’re both:
- a registered member of the scheme
If you’re a member and relied on your partner's work to pass the work test, you’ll need to either:
- claim your bonus within 26 weeks of your partner’s death
- start work.