Who can get a card

To get a Foster Child Health Care Card you must be a foster carer or caring for someone else's child.

You also need to meet residence rules.

You don't need to be a formal foster carer to be eligible. You may be eligible if you care for a child who is not your biological or adopted child.

The card isn't subject to an income or assets test.

A card is issued to an individual foster child, and can’t be transferred or used for another child.

If a foster child enters your care, you must make a new claim for Foster Child Health Care Card.

If a foster child leaves your care and the child still requires a Foster Child Health Care Card, the new foster carer will be required to claim for that foster child.

A foster child who is not in the care of an Australian resident or residing in an Approved Care Organisation may be able to claim their own Low Income Card.

If you're still eligible, we automatically reissue the card to you when it expires.

Page last updated: 3 March 2022.
QC 45566