Who can get it

To get Away from Base Assistance you must be a full time or part time tertiary or secondary student. You must also be eligible for an ABSTUDY payment.

If you’re not already getting ABSTUDY, you first need to claim an ABSTUDY payment. This could be either ABSTUDY Living Allowance or ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance.

This is even if your education provider will claim the assistance on your behalf.

The activity you’re applying for must meet both the following conditions:

  • a necessary academic component of your course
  • not located within a reasonable travelling time or distance of your permanent home or term address.

If you’re attending a testing or assessment activity, it must be because you’re applying to study an approved course.

You can be a full time or part time student.

Who can’t get it

We won’t pay Away from Base Assistance to any of the following:

  • the partners or children of participating students
  • apprentices or trainees
  • education providers or students who get funding from the National Indigenous Australians Agency for residential schools, field trips or placements.
Page last updated: 3 March 2022.
QC 53535