What you need to know

If you or your partner get compensation, it can affect your payments.

If you don’t already get a payment from us

You can claim an income support payment if there’s a delay with your compensation claim.

When you claim a payment you must tell us if any of these apply:

  • the compensation payer has paid you
  • you’re in the process of claiming
  • you plan to make a compensation claim.

If you get a payment from us

If you or your partner already get a payment from us, you must tell us within either:

  • 7 days if you or your partner get any compensation payments
  • 14 days if your weekly compensation rate changes.

If you get a payment from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA), it may affect the amount you can get from us. Read more about getting a Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) payment.

Financial Information Service

We have Financial Information Service Officers to help you with decisions about your investments and financial situation. This service is free, independent and confidential.

Watch our video about how the Financial Information Service can help you if you receive lump sum compensation.

We also have tips and information to help you at different times manage your money.

Page last updated: 2 February 2023.
QC 51789