The Federal Circuit Court and Family Courts may make orders for child maintenance payments for children not covered by child support legislation.
This includes orders for parents whose children are over 18 and step-parents for their step-children.
As a parent you must do all of the following:
- pay your child support in full and on time if you’re the paying parent
- make sure you tell us what care arrangements are in place for your children
- lodge your tax return on time
- report your income accurately
- tell us about any changes of circumstances.
There are limited reasons to extend or end a court order.
Child maintenance orders will end at a specified time, or when a particular event occurs.
Any child support you receive can affect how much Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part A you get.