What you need to do

You need to notify us within 14 days of any court orders about child maintenance. This includes orders made by consent, and any amendments to earlier orders.

The Federal Circuit Court and Family Courts may make orders for child maintenance payments for children not covered by child support legislation.

This includes orders for parents whose children are over 18 and step-parents for their step-children.

You are required to provide us with a copy of any order. Read more about submitting documents online or how to post or fax.

As a parent you must do all of the following:

  • pay your child support in full and on time if you’re the paying parent
  • make sure you tell us what care arrangements are in place for your children
  • lodge your tax return on time
  • report your income accurately
  • tell us about any changes of circumstances.

When a receiving parent tells us about a court order, they can choose between payment options, private collect or child support collect.

There are limited reasons to extend or end a court order.

Page last updated: 3 March 2022.
QC 43066