Transition to Independent Living Allowance

The Transition to Independent Living Allowance (TILA) helps if you’ve left or are leaving care. This may be formal care or out-of-home care (OOHC).

The TILA is worth up to $1,500 and helps with the costs of leaving care (OOHC). It can be used to pay for a wide range of items such as payment of rental bonds, furniture, course fees and buying a car.

You and your caseworker will agree on how best to use the TILA as part of your application.

Formal care can also be known as out-of-home care. This is when a child or young person can’t live with their parents or carer. They might live with a different family or in a home for children. Formal care is where this living arrangement involves child protection services, and was ordered by a state or territory court.

Find out more about formal care on the Department of Social Services website.

Page last updated: 8 September 2022.
QC 62638

Try our new dark mode

We're testing a darker colour scheme. Try it and let us know what you think.