Taxable Centrelink payments

If you get a taxable Centrelink payment, you may need to lodge a tax return at the end of the tax year.

Taxable payments

You’ll get a Centrelink payment summary if you get any of these taxable Centrelink payments:

  • ABSTUDY Living Allowance, if you’re 16 or older
  • Age Pension
  • Austudy
  • Carer Payment, if you or the care receiver is Age Pension age
  • Dad and Partner Pay
  • Disability Support Pension, if you’re Age Pension age
  • Disaster Recovery Allowance
  • Farm Household Allowance
  • JobSeeker Payment
  • Parental Leave Pay from us
  • Parenting Payment
  • Special Benefit
  • Youth Allowance, if you’re 16 or older.

You can ask us to deduct tax from your eligible taxable payment. This can help reduce the amount of tax you may have to pay at the end of the tax year.

Some taxable payments won’t show on your Centrelink payment summary. You may still need to include these payments in your tax return. Read about payments that don’t show on it.

Read about lodging a tax return with the ATO on their website.

Non-taxable payments

You might get some payments from us that aren’t taxable. This means we can’t deduct tax from these payments. This includes:

Child support you get from another parent is also not taxable.

Even though Commonwealth Seniors Health Cards are not taxable, your adjusted taxable income may affect your eligibility for one.

You should check with the Australian Taxation Office if you’re unsure about what income is taxable.

Page last updated: 30 April 2024.
QC 62458