We calculate the PBS Safety Net in a calendar year. It usually resets at the beginning of each year, 1 January.
On 1 January 2023, the PBS Safety Net thresholds were updated to:
- $262.80 for concession card holders
- $1,563.50 for general patients.
Before you meet the threshold, each medicine will cost up to:
- $7.30 for concession card holders
- $30.00 for general patients.
Once you reach the threshold, you’ll need to apply for a PBS Safety Net card to get cheaper medicines.
Your medicine will then either:
- be free for concession card holders
- cost up to $7.30 for general patients.
When there are 2 or more brands of the same medicine, they may have different prices. If you choose a more expensive brand it may cost you more.