Workforce Incentive Program (WIP) – Practice Stream
Provides incentives to general practices who employ nurses, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health workers and practitioners, and allied health professionals.
About the program
The Workforce Incentive Program (WIP) – Practice Stream began on 1 February 2020 as part of the 2018/2019 Stronger Rural Health Strategy. It aims to build a sustainable and high quality health workforce, particularly in rural and remote areas, by better targeting incentives.
The WIP – Practice Stream includes:
- quarterly incentive payments to engage eligible health professionals
- a rural loading of up to 50%
- an annual loading for practices providing general practitioner services to Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) Gold Card holders.
The amount a practice gets depends on the:
- practice size
- type of eligible health professionals
- average hours eligible health professionals work each week
- type of practice and its location.
We administer the WIP – Practice Stream on behalf of the Department of Health.
You can contact us to find out more.
The guidelines on the Department of Health website set out how the WIP - Practice Stream operates including:
- accreditation requirements
- eligibility requirements
- eligible health professionals
- ineligible services and activities
- practice obligations
- calculating payments.
To apply for the WIP – Practice Stream, you need a Provider Digital Access (PRODA) account to access Health Professional Online Services (HPOS).
Managing your practice details online
The WIP – Practice Stream Online allows practices to apply and update information online using HPOS.
- Apply for the WIP – Practice Stream
- Action Quarterly Confirmation Statements
- Update practice details
- Advise of changes to practice arrangements
- Get notifications.
To access the WIP – Practice Stream Online, you need your RA number linked to your practice's HPOS profile.
If you are an owner or primary authorised contact person, you can access payment advices and statements through HPOS messages - organisations mailbox. To do this, you must update your PIP and/or WIP – Practice Stream online subscriptions to ‘Access Online’.
Benefits of linking your PIP and WIP – Practice Stream
If your practice also participates in the Practice Incentives Program (PIP) you can become a PIP consenting practice.
This means your practice ID numbers will be identical and you’ll only need to make updates to your PIP profile. You won’t need to make the same updates to your WIP – Practice Stream profile.
- Practice Incentives application form (IP001)
- Practice Incentives - Individual general practitioner, nurse practitioner or health professional details form (IP003)
- Practice Incentives - Change of practice details form (IP005)
- Practice Incentives - Practice closure or withdrawal form (IP007)
- Practice Incentives - Practice ownership details and declaration form (IP008)
- Practice Incentives Change of practice ownership form (IP010)
- Practice Incentives Additional practice branch form (IP025)
- Practice Incentives - Review of decision form (IP027).
Incentives News Update
The Incentives News Update (INU) keeps you up to date with the PIP and the WIP – Practice Stream.
Stay up to date and get the latest information about our payments and services by subscribing to the News for Health Professionals.
Related information and services
- Practice Incentives Program
- Health professional contact information
You can link your Practice Incentives Program (PIP) and Workforce Incentive Program (WIP) – Practice Stream practice details.
When you link your staff’s PRODA account RA to your practice they can access Practice Incentives Program (PIP) Online.
Learn how to apply for the WIP – Practice Stream using your HPOS account.
Page last updated: 19 May 2021
This information was printed 29 July 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/organisations/health-professionals/services/medicare/workforce-incentive-program-wip-practice-stream. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.