About eligible customers
Customers eligible for the PBS are also eligible for the PBS Safety Net.
All customers must have a Medicare card. Customers may get PBS medicines cheaper if they have either:
- a commonwealth concessional entitlement card
- a Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) card.
Your customers can get medicine cheaper under the PBS Safety Net once they have spent a certain amount on PBS medicines. They can also combine amounts for eligible family members.
A PBS Safety Net family is either:
- a couple who are legally married and not separated
- a couple in a de facto relationship, with or without dependent children
- a single person with dependent children
- a couple separated by illness for example, where one member resides in a nursing home.
A dependent child is someone who:
- is younger than 16 or a full time student younger than 25
- is attending school, college or university
- you substantially support financially.
Groups who are not considered a family for the PBS Safety Net include:
- full time students 25 years or older and their parents
- separated couples, unless living separately due to illness or infirmity
- 2 or more adult siblings
- an adult and their parents.
If a family member who dies was receiving PBS medicines recorded on the family prescription record form during the year, these can still count towards the family PBS Safety Net threshold.
The PBS Safety Net thresholds are the thresholds your customers need to reach before accessing PBS medicines even cheaper. They’re updated on 1 January.
Give your customers PBS Safety Net cards to help them access cheaper PBS medicines.
Page last updated: 1 April 2020
This information was printed 19 September 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/organisations/health-professionals/services/medicare/pbs-safety-net-pharmacists/about-eligible-customers. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.