Accessing CDBS information
A guide to help health professionals use HPOS to check patient eligibility and cap balances and generate bulk bill reports for Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS).
You can use HPOS for CDBS services to:
- check your patients eligibility and CDBS balance
- confirm claimable MBS item numbers through the MBS Item Online Checker
- request provider reports.
To reduce the risk of a claim being rejected you can do these things before starting the consultation.
Checking your patient's eligibility and balance for CDBS
Checking a patient's eligibility and balance for the CDBS in HPOS is a 2 step process. Firstly check your patient's eligibility in HPOS, or via Interactive Voice Recognition, by selecting CDBS from the main menu. If your patient is eligible and has an available balance, you then select MBS Items Online Checker to confirm that the CDBS item number can be claimed.
Step 1 search for your patient's details
To check a patient's eligibility and cap balance, follow these steps:
- Select Child Dental Benefits Schedule from the Main Menu in HPOS
- Enter your patient's details. You can enter:
- Medicare card number
- Individual reference number (IRN)
- first name
- date of birth.
- If the patient is eligible, HPOS will return a 'Yes the patient is eligible' message, the Medicare card number, IRN, first name, available cap balance and the date of inquiry.
Step 2 search a patients MBS history in the HPOS MBS Items Online Checker
To check a patient's MBS history, you need to check if the appropriate MBS item can be claimed. To do this follow these steps:
- Select MBS Items Online Checker from the Main Menu in HPOS
- Search for your patients details again
- Search Provider details by entering your Provider number
- Search MBS Items by selecting the MBS item number being claimed for your patient.
The HPOS MBS Items Online Checker is available to check the patient's claiming history. Check their eligibility before submitting a claim to us. These results are also available in real time, however some dental items are time dependent. For example, some items can only be billed once every 6 months. If a time dependent item number is billed and the patient visits another dentist within a 6 month period, then the item is ineligible. CDBS isn’t restricted to the dentist who provided the initial service.
Results provided within the HPOS MBS Item Online Checker are:
- based on a patient's claiming history
- benefits that may be payable at the date of enquiry.
Restrictions that apply to a particular tooth can’t be checked through this service. When you claim services for an individual tooth there is a possibility of a payment rejection. If the HPOS MBS Item Online Checker returns as claimable, this doesn’t guarantee your patient is eligible for CDBS.
Request provider reports
Dental providers can get their own reports through the HPOS Easyclaim service by following these steps:
- Select Medicare Services from the main menu in HPOS
- Select easyclaim processing reports or easyclaim payment reports
- Add required details, select search
- Results will launch in a new window.
Page last updated: 1 June 2021
This information was printed 29 July 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/organisations/health-professionals/services/medicare/child-dental-benefits-schedule-health-professionals/about/patient-eligibility/accessing-cdbs-information. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.