on this page
- Allied Health professionals
- Cancel (bank initiated)
- Claimant Medicare card number
- Date of service
- Diagnostic imaging
- Equipment identification number
- Item override code
- Location Specific Practice Number (LSPN)
- Medicare card flag values
- MBS item number
- Patient Medicare card number
- Patient Individual Reference Number (IRN)
- Payee provider number
- Pended claim
- Real-time Medicare eligibility validation
- Referral details
- Referring provider number
- Referral issue date
- Referral period type code
- Referral override type code (specialist services only)
- Request details
- Requesting provider number
- Request issue date
- Request override type code
- Restrictive override code
- Specimen collection point identification number (SCP ID)
- Self deemed code
- Servicing provider number
- Types of EFTPOS receipts
Allied Health professionals
Any Medicare Benefits Schedule item lodged for services provided by Allied Health professionals listed should be accepted, unless restrictions are applied, for example, a care plan MBS item is not present on the patient's history, or the maximum number of services have been performed.
- Aboriginal Health Workers
- dental specialists, non-Medical Benefits (Dental Practitioners) Advisory Committee
- diabetes educators
- exercise physiologists
- mental health nurses
- occupational therapists
- oral medical and pathology practitioners
- social workers
- speech pathologists
Cancel (bank initiated)
An auto-cancel will be initiated when a financial transaction has been transmitted but no response has been received within the timeout period.
The person who incurred the expense for services provided. The claimant is not always the patient, for example, a parent.
Claimant Medicare card number
The claimant must have a valid Medicare card number in order to transmit patient claims through Medicare Easyclaim.
Date of service
The date of service will be automatically generated as the date the claim is created and transmitted.
In circumstances where the date of service is different to the date the claim is being transmitted, the date of service must be manually entered and must:
- be in the format DDMMYY
- be a valid date
- not be in the future
- not be more than 2 years old
Request details may be required with diagnostic imaging services.
Equipment identification number
The identification number (allocated by the Department of Health and Aged Care) of specific equipment that needs to be registered in order to claim certain items. This commonly applies to radiotherapy equipment.
Item override code
Under certain circumstances, health professionals need to give more information on an account so that a service can be assessed. The item override code will allow you to submit the extra information for a specific situation. If you leave this information out when it is needed, it will result in rejection.
- AO = not normal aftercare
- AP = not duplicate service (am-pm)
Location Specific Practice Number (LSPN)
The LSPN is applicable to services:
- within Group T2 - radiation oncology services as described in the MBS
- within Category 5 - diagnostic imaging services as described in the MBS
- where a general practitioner has remote area exemption and performs diagnostic services
Where these services occur, this field is considered mandatory.
Medicare card flag values
An indicator that shows the problem we have with the submitted Medicare card. This indicator may appear on the bulk bill processing report against a claim.
- A = patient identification amended
- I = patient Medicare issue number changed
- C = patient Medicare number changed
- W = patient card used will expire shortly
- S = patient card expired. Future services may be rejected
- X = old Medicare issue number for patient, future services may be rejected
MBS item number
The MBS item number is required for each service. It must be valid at the date of service for that health professional. Miscellaneous taxable services and ancillary items that do not attract a Medicare benefit cannot be entered. View the MBS online.
Pathology services provided by an eligible health professional, including Group 9 for patient claims.
Identifies the individual who receives the services.
Patient Medicare card number
The patient must have a valid Medicare card number to transmit patient or bulk bill claims through Medicare Easyclaim.
Patient Individual Reference Number (IRN)
The IRN is on the left of the patient’s name on their Medicare card.
Payee provider number
Provider number of the health professional who is to be paid for the service. Only required if the payee provider is not the servicing provider.
Claims that need a Customer Service Officer to manually review due to complexity or special circumstances.
Real-time Medicare eligibility validation
We will validate the patient’s eligibility when the claim is lodged.
Required for certain services provided by specialists, allied health professionals or consulting physicians, where a Medicare benefit is dependent on acceptable evidence that the service has been provided following referral from another health professional.
Referral details for initial consultations and other referred services (including subsequent consultations) are mandatory.
The referring provider must have a current and valid registration at the date of referral.
Referring provider number
The provider number, allocated by us, of the referring provider.
Referral issue date
This field must be keyed if referral details are given. The date keyed is the date on the letter of referral.
Referral period type code
Indicates the period of referral. This field must be entered if you have entered a referring provider number and referral issue date.
- S = standard (12 months from a GP and 3 months from a specialist)
- I = indefinite
Referral override type code (specialist services only)
Indicates why referred services were provided without referral from another health professional.
Lost or emergency referral indication
This data is only needed in cases where a written referral was lost, or in the case of an emergency situation where the servicing provider believed the service needed to be given as quickly as possible.
Lost and emergency referrals are applicable to initial consultation items only. All referral requirements must be met for following consultation items.
- L = lost
- E = emergency
- N = not required may need to be entered where referral details are not required
Required for items that are subject to the written request requirement and are classified as R-Type (requested) services in the MBS.
The following data is required
- requesting provider number
- request issue date
Requesting provider number
The provider number, allocated by us, of the requesting provider.
Request issue date
Date the request was issued.
Request override type code
Lost or emergency request indication
Required where a written request was lost, or in the case of an emergency where the servicing provider believed the service needed to be rendered as quickly as possible.
The requesting provider must have a current and valid registration at the date of request.
- L = lost
- E = emergency
- N = not required (for bulk bill pathology only)
Restrictive override code
Under certain circumstances, providers need to give more information on an account to allow assessment of a service. If the information is left out, it will be rejected or the practice will be contacted for more details. The restrictive override code enables health professionals to send the extra information, for specific situations, through a 2-character indicator for correct assessment and payment for the service.
Separate sites - when this indicator is set, item numbers 30071, 30061, 30192 and 30195 will automatically override where
- the services are within 1 claim and are for the same patient, health professional and date of service
- there are combinations of items 30071 and 30061 plus only 1 x 30195 or only 1 x 30192
- there are multiples of items 30071 and 30061 within 1 claim
The time-dependency restrictions for items 30192 and 30195 will continue to apply.
- NC = Not for comparison
- SP = Separate sites
- NR = Not related (care plans for allied health)
Specimen collection point identification number (SCP ID)
For bulk bill pathology services only. The provider number is used along with the SCP ID for assessment of the claim. The claim will be rejected if the provider number used is not registered in the Medicare system to allow that provider to perform services with the SCP ID entered.
Self deemed code
SD is an optional element. However, conditions apply depending on the SD value selected. SD applies to both pathology and diagnostic claims. When the SD value is present, request details cannot be set.
Pathology claims may only have an SD indicator.
SS only applies to diagnostic claims.
When the SS value is present, request details are required.
There may be claims where neither the request details nor request override type code are set; instead, a self-deemed value of SD applies.
- SD = self deemed
- SS = substituted service
Servicing provider number
Provider number of the provider who rendered the service.
Types of EFTPOS receipts
The EFTPOS terminal will produce the following types of receipts, which must be given to the patient or claimant.
- Medicare patient claim receipt - for all fully paid, assessed patient claims
- Medicare lodgement receipt - for all unpaid, partially paid or pended patient claims
- Cancelled Medicare claim receipt - for all patient claims that have been cancelled by the medical practice or claimant
- Bank cancelled claim receipt
- Bulk bill assignment advice - for all bulk bill claims following acceptance of the claim by the medical practice and assignment of benefit by the patient