Time limits for submitting lump sum claims and confirming income for Family Tax Benefit
You have 1 year from the end of the financial year to confirm your income for Family Tax Benefit (FTB) or claim FTB as a lump sum.
What are the time limits for 2018-19
You had until 30 June 2020 to:
- confirm your income for the 2018-19 financial year
- claim FTB as a lump sum for the 2018-19 financial year.
You and your partner needed to confirm your income if you got FTB during the 2018-19 financial year. This is part of balancing your payment.
If you didn’t confirm your income, you may have missed out on top ups and supplements. You may also get a debt and have to repay the amount you got during the financial year. If you got FTB and you don’t confirm your income, we’ll send you a Family Tax Benefit Account Payable notice. If you got Child Care Subsidy (CCS) as well and don’t confirm your income, we’ll send you a separate letter.
There are different time limits for how long you have to confirm your income for CCS.
You should call the families line if there were special circumstances that stopped you or your partner from either:
- confirming your income before the deadline
- lodging an FTB lump sum claim before the deadline.
What are the time limits for 2019-20
You have until 30 June 2021 to:
- confirm your income for the 2019-20 financial year
- claim FTB as a lump sum for the 2019-20 financial year.
You may miss out on payments if you don’t.
We use this information to balance your family assistance payments.
You and your partner need to confirm your income if either of the following apply:
- you got FTB during the 2019-20 financial year
- you’re claiming FTB as a lump sum for the 2019-20 financial year.
If you didn’t get FTB during the 2019-20 financial year, you can claim it as a lump sum. You can also submit a lump sum claim for Single Income Family Supplement (SIFS).
Call the Families line if there are special circumstances stopping you or your partner from doing this before the deadline.
If you can't start your claim online, you can use the form. Complete the Claim for an annual lump sum payment of FTB for the 2019-20 financial year.
You and your partner can confirm your income by either:
- lodging a tax return with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
- telling us you don’t need to lodge and confirming your income with us.
If you or your partner don’t need to lodge, you can tell us by either:
- using your Centrelink online account through myGov
- using the latest version of your Express Plus Centrelink mobile app
- calling the Families line and saying non-lodger when we ask why you called.
Page last updated: 23 April 2021
This information was printed 6 May 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/topics/time-limits-submitting-lump-sum-claims-and-confirming-income-family-tax-benefit/30401. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.