Payments for older Australians

Payments and services for older Australians who plan to retire, have retired, or are considering working past Age Pension age.

Age Pension

Age Pension provides income support for eligible older Australians. If you get Age Pension you also have access to a range of concessions.

If you meet age and residence requirements, we’ll calculate how much Age Pension you can get. This depends on your income, assets and other circumstances.

You may get Age Pension without needing to meet the income and assets tests if both of the following apply:

  • you’re legally blind
  • you're not claiming Rent Assistance.

If you’re still working past Age Pension age, you may get a partial Age Pension payment.

If you get Age Pension, you may need to take steps to claim a pension from another country. This is if you have lived or worked in a country other than Australia.

Read about Age Pension and planning to retire.

Transfer to Age Pension

You can apply to transfer to Age Pension if you're Age Pension age and get an eligible Centrelink payment.

Use our Payment and Service Finder to see how much Age Pension you may get.

Other financial help

If you’re Age Pension age or older and can’t get Age Pension, you may be able to get other help.

The Pension Loans Scheme can help you supplement your retirement income with a non-taxable loan.

If you’re a self-funded retiree, you may be eligible for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card and related payments and services.

Other payments include:

Use our Payment and Service Finder to see what you can get depending on your circumstances.

Help with living and household costs

We have payments to help you with your living and household costs:

Help with health care expenses

We have payments to help you with health care expenses.

The Continence Aids Payment Scheme helps eligible people with incontinence product expenses. It’s paid once a year.

The External Breast Prostheses Reimbursement Program helps women who’ve had a mastectomy as a result of breast cancer. It’s for eligible women who purchased a new or replacement external breast prosthesis after 1 July 2008.

Other government and community support services

You can use Payment and Service Finder to find local services that provide support and information.

Moneysmart has tools and tips to help you make the most of your money. Read the Over 55s section on the Moneysmart website.

myagedcare can help with advice on aged care and support services, including:

  • what help is available
  • assistance at home
  • aged care homes
  • caring for someone.

If you’re feeling depressed, anxious or stressed, you might find it helpful to talk to someone about your mental health. Use our Payment and Service Finder to find support groups and services in your state.

You can find out about services for people with hearing loss from the Australian Government Department of Health.

Visit the Be Connected website for free resources designed to help you feel confident using the internet. It has a range of courses including how to:

  • improve online skills
  • keep your details safe
  • do online banking.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 7 October 2021