Payments and support for Indigenous Australians

We have a range of payments and support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians.


Use Payment and Service Finder to help you find out what payments and services you may be able to get.

ABSTUDY can help you and your family with study, Australian Apprenticeship or traineeship costs.

Relocation Scholarship can help if you need to move to, or from, a remote or regional area to study. It’s paid once a year.

Student Start-up Loan is a voluntary loan you can get up to twice a year. You can get it if you’re an eligible higher education student. It can help you buy study related items like textbooks.

Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme can help you with the extra study costs for your children. It's for people who can’t go to a state or public school on a daily basis because they either:

  • live in an isolated area
  • have a disability or special education need.

You may also be able to get Remote Area Allowance if both of the following apply:

  • you get one of our payments
  • you live in a remote area.

Centrepay helps pay bills and expenses as regular deductions from your Centrelink payments. This can make it easier for you to budget.

Our support services

Indigenous Service Officers

These officers help and support you and your communities to:

  • understand our services
  • access our payments, services and programs
  • promote our payments and services at forums
  • refer you to other services if they can’t help you.

Indigenous Customer Service Officers

They provide you individual support in some of our service centres. They:

  • give culturally appropriate advice and service
  • refer you to other service providers
  • advise you of your rights and obligations.

Remote Servicing Teams

These teams travel to remote areas so everyone has access to our payments and services.

Centrelink Indigenous Call Centre

You can speak to our trained staff in the Centrelink Indigenous Call Centre about your Centrelink payments and services.

Voluntary identification

Use the Medicare Voluntary Indigenous Identifier online form to tell us if you’re an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian. You can also tell us the next time you contact us. We use this information for many things. It helps us identify other programs and services Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australian’s may find helpful.

Family and domestic violence

If you’re affected by family and domestic violence, we can help. We provide information, support and referrals.

Other support services

There are other support services you may find helpful. You can use the Service Finder to find help in your local area.

The National Indigenous Australians Agency runs the Community Development Program (CDP). It helps job seekers living in remote areas get skills while looking for work in their own community.

Department of Health helps Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples stay healthy and strong with a free health check.

eSafety has lots of resources and information for parents and carers to keep your family safe online.

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) gives you support with your tax and super. hosted by National Indigenous Australians Agency links you to information on policy and programs.

MoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Indigenous section on the MoneySmart website.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 22 September 2020