If you need a payment

You may get a payment from us if you or your family are affected by the coronavirus pandemic.

1: Before you start – payment guide

This guide can help by suggesting payments that might apply in your situation. Once you find a payment you should carefully read the eligibility rules and instructions on how to claim.

2: Have you been told to self-isolate or quarantine?

3: You may be eligible for Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment

You may be eligible for Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment unless you live in:

  • the Northern Territory
  • the Australian Capital Territory

Read more about Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment.

If you need longer term help, we have other payments available. Read more about Payments and Services.

4: Are you an Australian Citizen?

5: Payments for visa holders

If you’re living in Australia with an eligible visa we have a range of help to support you.

6: Are you aged under 66?

7: You may be eligible for Age Pension

The main income support payment for people who have reached Age Pension age.

Read more about Age Pension.

Read more about payments and services for older Australians.

8: Are you the main carer of a young child?

If you're single this is a child under 8.

If you're partnered this is a child under 6.

9: You may be eligible for Parenting Payment

The main income support payment while you’re a young child’s main carer.

If you’re partnered and care for a child younger than 6, you may also be eligible for JobSeeker Payment. This will depend your partner’s income.

Read more about Parenting Payment.

Read more about payments and services for families.

10: Are you studying, a trainee or an apprentice?

11: Are you receiving a payment from us such as ABSTUDY, Austudy, or Youth Allowance?

12: You may be eligible for an additional payment

Read more information if you’re already getting a payment from us.

13: You may be eligible for a student or trainee payment

Read more information for students and trainees.

14: Are you aged 22 or over?

15: You may be eligible for JobSeeker Payment

Financial help if you’re between 22 and Age Pension age and looking for work. It’s also for when you’re sick or injured and can’t do your usual work or study for a short time.

Read more about JobSeeker Payment.

Read more about payments and services for job seekers.

Before you claim, check if your employer will pay you JobKeeper payment.

16: You may be eligible for Youth Allowance

Financial help if you’re 21 or younger and looking for work, or temporarily unable to work.

Read more about Youth Allowance for job seekers.

Read more about payments and services for job seekers.

How to get a payment

Find out how to check what you can get, claim and manage a payment if you aren’t getting one already.

  1. Visiting a service centre

    1. Check what you can get

    You may get Youth Allowance, JobSeeker Payment or Parenting Payment in any of these circumstances. If you’re:

    • not able to work or don’t have work
    • in isolation or hospitalised
    • caring for children.

    If you’re caring for a child, you may also be able to claim Family Tax Benefit.

    You may get Special Benefit if you meet the eligibility criteria and you can’t get other income support payments from us.

    If you live in New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria or Western Australia you may be eligible for the Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment.

    Keep in mind, we’ve made changes to payment rules due to COVID-19.

    JobKeeper Payment

    You may be able to get income from JobKeeper payment through your employer. Ask if they’ve registered with the Australian Taxation Office for this payment before you claim an income support payment from us. If they have and you’re eligible, your employer will pay it to you. You don’t need to call or visit us to claim JobKeeper payment.

  2. Gather Documents

    2. Establish your identity and get a Customer Reference Number (CRN)

    To make a claim, you need to establish your identity and get a CRN. You can do this online using myGov. You don’t need to visit a service centre.

    If you’ve already got your CRN, keep it with you when you make your claim.

  3. Claim online

    3. Make a claim

    The easiest way to claim is online. Watch our video to find out how to set up your Centrelink online account.

    Once you’re ready, read more about how to claim.


    4. Report your income and manage your payment

    Your payment will stop if you don’t report your income each fortnight. You may also have other commitments you need to manage. This may include job search activities and letting us know about any changes to your circumstances.

Page last updated: 24 November 2020