If you got income from JobKeeper Payment during Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Your employer may have paid you JobKeeper Payment. The Australian Taxation Office paid this to your employer if they’re eligible.

When JobKeeper Payment stops

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) paid JobKeeper Payment to eligible employers, helping businesses significantly affected by coronavirus (COVID-19).

JobKeeper Payment stopped 28 March 2021. Talk to your employer about what this means to you.

Your employer can read more about support for businesses and employers on the ATO’s website.

What to do if you need income support

If your circumstances change, you might be able to get an eligible income support payment, like JobSeeker Payment, from us.

You can use our payment guide to see what payments and services you may be eligible for.

You can start your claim for JobSeeker Payment early before your circumstances will change.

Getting an Employment Separation Certificate from your employer

If you’ve lost your job, you may need to give us an Employment Separation Certificate, or a letter from your employer. You can do this when you submit your claim.

Claiming JobSeeker Payment

If you’re looking for work, JobSeeker Payment may be the right payment for your situation.

You should check if you can get it before starting a claim.

If you meet eligibility rules, you can start your claim early.

Claiming another income support payment

You may be eligible to claim a different income support payment to JobSeeker Payment. We have tools you can use to check what payment is right for you. You can use our payment guide.

How to report JobKeeper Payment income

As an employee

If you get an income support payment from us, you must report any employment income you get each fortnight. You’ll need to tell us about any final amounts of JobKeeper Payment that were included in your pay after 28 March 2021.

If you don’t, we may pay you too much and you’ll have a debt to pay back.

As a sole trader or self employed

If you’re a sole trader or self-employed, you must report JobKeeper Payments you got as business income. If JobKeeper Payment stopping will change your overall business profit, you’ll have to submit an updated Profit and Loss statement.

Some sole traders may get lump sum arrears of JobKeeper Payment. This follows a decision of the Full Federal Court on 24 March 2021. If you get an arrears payment, you must include the payment as part of your business income. If the arrears payment changes your overall business profit, you’ll have to submit an updated Profit and Loss statement.

If you don’t do this, we may pay you too much and you’ll owe us money that you’ll need to pay back.

Read more about reporting income from employment.

Page last updated: 8 June 2021