If you need a payment – coronavirus (COVID-19)

You may get help from us if you or your family are affected by the coronavirus pandemic.

You don’t need to give us a bank statement, Employment Separation Certificate or a letter from your employer. We’ll let you know when you need to again.

To get a payment, you’ll need to meet all the eligibility rules including residence rules and income tests.

You may get a payment in any of the following circumstances. These include if you’re:

  • not able to work or don’t have work
  • in isolation or hospitalised
  • caring for children.

You may get 1 of the following payments:

Depending on the payment you’re claiming, your parent’s or partner’s income may affect your eligibility to claim a payment.

If you’re a current or past customer, you can submit your claim using your Centrelink online account. You’ll need your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN). Your CRN doesn’t change if you stop getting a payment from us.

If you don’t have an online account or a CRN, you can register your intention to claim a Centrelink payment. You don’t need to have been a Centrelink customer before to submit an intention to claim.

We’ve waived all of the following:

  • ordinary waiting period
  • liquid asset test waiting period
  • newly arrived residents waiting period
  • seasonal work preclusion period
  • mutual obligation or participation requirements
  • assets test.

We also don’t need any of these:

  • an employment separation certificate
  • bank statement
  • proof of reduced work hours
  • proof of your rental arrangements.

Call us on the specific payment line if you’re having any trouble claiming a payment.

The Australian Taxation Office has COVID-19 information on their website about:

  • early access to superannuation
  • financial relief for small business and employers.

Read the latest coronavirus updates and advice on the Australia.gov.au website.

Page last updated: 30 March 2020