If you need to access our services - coronavirus (COVID-19)

How and where you can access our services.

We’re experiencing a high demand for our services. You don’t need to go to our service centres. You can start by registering your intention to claim through myGov. We’ll contact you for more information.

You can access our services in different ways. If you can use our online options, this may be the fastest way.

Keep up to date with any customer service changes.


If you haven’t already, create a myGov account so you can do your Centrelink, Medicare and Child Support business with us online. This can help our staff help others with more complex needs.

If you haven’t got an online account, you’ll have to phone us to link your account.

You can claim most of our payments online.


We have phone lines to help you. We have increased wait times. It may take you a while to get through, please be patient.

The JobSeeker Payment line has extended opening hours from 8 am to 8 pm Monday to Friday and 9 am to 5 pm Saturday to Sunday.


Our service centres are open during our usual business hours. We may at times make changes to our opening times. Keep up to date with any customer service changes.

We’re not holding appointments at service centres. If you have an appointment already booked, we’ll phone you instead.

We may need to control the flow of customers into the service centre. We’ve introduced social distancing measures and display important health information about COVID-19 and reminders about good hygiene.

If you visit our service centres, our staff may ask you if you have recently returned from overseas.

They may also ask you if you’ve been in contact with someone who has coronavirus.

If you say yes, they’ll ask you to leave the service centre and use our online or phone services instead. Our staff will try to call you to check you were able to do what you needed to do.

You can also access our services through our national network of Agents and Access Points. They provide self service facilities for people in rural, regional and remote Australia.

Specialist services

Social work services

You can contact a social worker by calling us on the same number you use to call Centrelink and asking to speak with one. If you need an interpreter, let us know and we’ll arrange one for you. You can also call our Multilingual Phone Service.

Financial Information Service

We’ve suspended our Financial Information Service interviews in service centres and our FIS seminars to protect the health of our staff and customers. You can phone us to speak to a FIS Officer.

Mobile Service Centres

We’ve suspended our Mobile Service Centre visits to protect the health of our staff and customers.

Page last updated: 28 March 2020