Visiting from New Zealand

If you’re visiting Australia from New Zealand, you may be eligible for medical care under Medicare while you’re here.

Who can get

You’re covered for inpatient public hospital care only under the RHCA.

You don’t need to enrol in Medicare and won’t get a Medicare card.

To be eligible for Medicare you must both:

  • be a New Zealand citizen or resident of New Zealand before arriving in Australia
  • be temporarily visiting Australia.

If you’re a student, you’re eligible for Medicare. Read about how to enrol in Medicare.

If you're a diplomat

You and your family are eligible for Medicare for the whole time you’re posted here as a diplomat.

You don’t need to enrol in Medicare. You’ll get the same entitlements as a non-diplomatic New Zealand citizen. Your cover isn’t limited and you’re entitled to full Medicare benefits.

What’s covered

The agreement covers:

  • medically necessary care as a public patient in a public hospital
  • some PBS prescription medicines at the general rate.

Read more about the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).

Your cover is for public inpatient hospital care only. You won’t get a Medicare benefit for out of hospital services under the agreement.

What documents you need to show

At the public hospital or pharmacy you need to ask staff to treat you under the reciprocal health care agreement.

You’ll also need to show your New Zealand passport proving you’re a New Zealand citizen or resident.

When your cover starts and ends

Your cover starts the day you arrive in Australia. It ends the day you leave Australia.

Page last updated: 4 December 2019