Your responsibility

When you make a claim for compensation for an injury or illness, you must tell us certain details.

Sharing your information

You may want your lawyer, a family member or someone else to deal with us for you. If so, we need your permission to share your information with them. You’ll need to complete the Medicare Compensation Recovery third party authority form and send it to us.

If you authorise someone else to act for you, we’ll send all letters to them. We’ll include any requirements and deadlines in these letters. If you don’t meet the deadlines, it may increase the amount you’ll need to repay.

Completing a Medicare history statement

If you get compensation, you can’t also get Medicare benefits relating to that injury or illness. You’ll need to repay us for any benefits or care costs that relate to your injury or illness.

When the compensation payer tells us about your claim, we’ll send you a Medicare history statement and Declaration.

The statement lists all the benefits we’ve paid you since the date of the injury or illness. The Declaration is for you to tell us if you’ve received any:

  • nursing home benefits
  • residential care subsidies
  • home care subsidies.

On the Medicare history statement, tick all the items that relate to the injury or illness. Send the completed statement and Declaration back to us. The address is on the form.

We’ll add up each Medicare benefit that relates to your compensation claim. Then we’ll send a Notice of past benefits to you and the compensation payer.

Page last updated: 18 December 2019