Items the program doesn’t cover
Information about what you can’t claim a reimbursement for from us.
Under the program you can’t claim for items such as:
- post breast surgery swimwear
- internal prostheses
- prosthetic nipple inserts.
If you claimed for a replacement prosthesis you bought less than 2 years ago, you can’t claim to replace it because:
- it was the wrong choice
- you changed your mind
- it’s an incorrect fit
- it has deteriorated due to everyday use
- it’s faulty or damaged, unless damaged by a declared national disaster.
If any of these things happen, you should either:
- contact the shop where you bought it to discuss your options
- contact your private health fund to see if they cover a replacement.
Page last updated: 24 July 2019
This information was printed 13 May 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/medicare/external-breast-prostheses-reimbursement-program/who-can-get-it/items-program-doesnt-cover. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.