Who can get it

To keep getting Sickness Allowance you must keep meeting the rules until your current medical certificate ends.

Sickness Allowance closed to new claims on 20 March 2020. If you’re sick or injured and can’t do your usual work or study, you may get JobSeeker Payment.

You can get Sickness Allowance if you're 22 years or older, but under Age Pension age and either:

  • have a job
  • get Austudy or ABSTUDY as a full time student.

You can’t get Sickness Allowance if you get another income support payment.

You must also:

  • meet an income and assets test
  • meet residence rules
  • be unable to work or study for a short time because of a medical condition
  • provide a medical certificate from your doctor
  • have work or study to return to when you’re better.

If your medical certificate expires soon

When your medical certificate expires, your payments will stop.

We’ll send you a letter or myGov message before your medical certificate ends. We’ll ask you if you need ongoing income support.

If you still need income support

If you do, you need to make an appointment with us to transfer to JobSeeker Payment.

You can book the appointment 1 of the following ways:

Read more about JobSeeker Payment.

Page last updated: 11 May 2020