Who can get it
To keep getting Sickness Allowance you must keep meeting the rules until your current medical certificate ends.
You can get Sickness Allowance if you're 22 years or older, but under Age Pension age and either:
- have a job
- get Austudy or ABSTUDY as a full time student.
You can’t get Sickness Allowance if you get another income support payment.
You must also:
- meet an income and assets test
- meet residence rules
- be unable to work or study for a short time because of a medical condition
- provide a medical certificate from your doctor
- have work or study to return to when you’re better.
If your medical certificate expires soon
When your medical certificate expires, your payments will stop.
We’ll send you a letter or myGov message before your medical certificate ends. We’ll ask you if you need ongoing income support.
If you do, you need to make an appointment with us to transfer to JobSeeker Payment.
You can book the appointment 1 of the following ways:
- online using your Centrelink online account through myGov
- Centrelink Express Plus mobile app
- by calling us.
Read more about JobSeeker Payment.
Page last updated: 11 May 2020
This information was printed 10 July 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/sickness-allowance/who-can-get-it. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.