Who can get it

You must meet all eligibility rules to get the COVID-19 Disaster Payment - Victoria.

If you’re a sole trader, you should check to see if you’re eligible for your state or territory’s COVID-19 business support payment first.

You can only get the COVID-19 Disaster Payment or a state or territory business support payment per relevant period, not both. You need to decide which payment is best for you.

To get the payment, you need to meet all eligibility rules that apply.

This includes all of these rules:

  • you’re an Australian resident or hold a visa that gives you the right to work in Australia
  • you’re 17 years or older
  • you didn’t get an income support payment, ABSTUDY Living Allowance, Dad and Partner Pay or Parental Leave Pay during the payment period
  • you didn’t get the Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment, a state or territory pandemic payment or a state small business payment for the same period
  • you lost income and didn’t have any pandemic-related paid leave entitlements
  • you’re not getting your usual income and your employer is not getting Retaining Domestic Airline Capability payments on your behalf
  • you were unable to earn your usual income of 8 hours or more or a full day’s work because you were in the COVID-19 hotspot and were subject to a restricted movement order, or you lived or worked from other areas of Victoria
  • you lived or worked in or visited a Commonwealth-declared COVID-19 hotspot in Victoria that is subject to a restricted movement order or you lived in or worked from other areas of Victoria.

You meet the requirement of living or working in a Commonwealth-declared COVID-19 hotspot if both of these apply:

  • you live or work in an area which isn’t locked down
  • you can’t work because you’re unable to cross into or out of the lockdown area.

You no longer need to meet the Commonwealth-declared COVID-19 hotspot eligibility rule when both of these apply:

  • your state or territory has reached 80% fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine
  • we’ve already granted your claim for COVID-19 Disaster Payment for a relevant period which includes the date your state or territory reaches 80% fully vaccinated for COVID-19.

If your employer got Retaining Domestic Airline Capability payments on your behalf, you’re not eligible for the COVID-19 Disaster Payment for the same period.

You don’t have to take annual leave before you can get this payment. If you choose to take annual leave and it doesn’t cover all the hours of work you’ve lost, you can still get the payment.

You can check your visa details and conditions, including your right to work in Australia, using the Department of Home Affairs VEVO system.

You must also meet any rules for the COVID-19 health order that affected you. These may be different, depending on the circumstances for each location or movement restriction.

Recognised events are COVID-19 lockdowns, hotspots or periods of restricted movement.

A hotspot is an area of COVID-19 local transmission declared by the Chief Medical Officer. The Department of Health website lists the current hotspots.

A state or territory’s COVID-19 hotspot declaration automatically ends when the state or territory reaches 80% fully vaccinated for COVID-19.

Lockdown is a period of restricted movement when people must stay at home and can only leave for approved reasons.

A full day of your usual work is what you were scheduled to work but could not because of a restricted movement order. This includes not being able to attend a full time, part time or casual shift of less than 8 hours.

Page last updated: 27 October 2021