Supporting documents

When you claim, we’ll ask you for some documents to support your claim for a payment or service.

What documents you need

As you complete your claim we’ll ask you to provide us with certain documents or information. We’ll tell you in the claim which documents you need to give to us. These show as required in your claim.

You’ll need to provide these documents before you can submit your claim. Having them ready will help you finish your claim and not delay the process. Call us if you're unsure which documents you need to give us.

We may also ask you to confirm details your education provider tells us about your study. We get this information from the Department of Education, Skills and Employment.

Other documents you may need

You may need to give us other documents. These show in the claim as supplementary. You’ll have 14 days after you submit your claim to submit these.

We may ask you for more information as we work through your claim and assess your circumstances. If this happens, we’ll put your claim on hold as we wait for these documents. You need to provide them within 14 days of our request or we could reject your claim.

What common documents are

We’ve listed the documents and information we usually ask for. You may not need all of them. Your parents, your guardian or your partner may also need to provide some of these documents to support your claim.

Documents Details

You'll need your tax file number (TFN). If you don’t have a TFN, you can apply to get one free on the ATO website.

You won't need to supply documents, but you'll still need to provide these details to complete your claim:

  • bank account details
  • savings, term deposits, mortgage offsets or overseas account details
  • investments
  • insurance agreements
  • income and assets, including real estate assets
  • superannuation.

You may need to tell us your:

  • partner details, including citizenship, study, work and income details
  • separation details.
Residence details if you’ve lived outside Australia

You may need to tell us your:

  • visa information
  • the date you and your partner became Australian citizens
  • the dates you and your partner lived in other countries.

Employment or work

If you’ve lost your job, you may need to give us an employment separation certificate and payslips.

You may also need to tell us about any income you’re paid, from:

  • work
  • a small business
  • other income such as rent from an investment property.

You may be able to get some documents through your ATO online account. Read more about what you can do in your ATO online account, on the ATO website.


We may ask you to provide or confirm your:

  • planned and previous course details
  • scholarship details
  • enrolment details or fee receipts
  • course acceptance notices
  • academic transcripts.

You may need to give us your:

  • Health Care Card claims
  • medical reports
  • medical certificates.

How to submit your documents

You can upload documents in your Centrelink online account or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. Read more about how to submit your Centrelink documents online.

You can also give them to us by mail, fax, or by visiting a service centre.

Page last updated: 19 April 2021