Do you need financial help because of coronavirus?
8 June 2021
If you’re impacted by COVID-19, the payment you may be able to get depends on your situation. The rules are different for each payment.
If you’re in a Commonwealth declared COVID-19 hotspot
You may be able to get the COVID-19 Disaster Payment if all of these apply:
- you’re in a Commonwealth declared COVID-19 hotspot lasting more than 7 days
- you can’t attend work and lost income because of lockdown
- you aren’t getting an income support payment, Pandemic Leave Disaster payment, or a state based pandemic payment.
The Department of Health website lists the current hotspots.
If you’ve been told to quarantine or are caring for someone with COVID-19
You may be able to get the Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment if you can’t work and either:
- a state or territory health official has told you to isolate or quarantine because you’re a close contact of a confirmed case or have COVID-19
- you’re caring for someone with COVID-19.
You can’t get this payment if you’re getting an income support payment or you live in the Northern Territory.
If you need longer term financial help
If you need longer term financial help, you may be able to get a payment such as:
If you’re eligible for a payment from us
If you’re eligible for a payment from us and are in severe financial hardship, you may be able to get:
- Crisis Payment, if you’ve experienced an extreme circumstance
- Crisis Payment for National Health Emergency (COVID-19), if you have to self-isolate or quarantine or are caring for someone in isolation.
If you need more information
If you’re not eligible for another payment from us, check if you can get Special Benefit.
Read more about getting help during coronavirus (COVID-19).
Page last updated: 8 June 2021
This information was printed 8 June 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/news/do-you-need-financial-help-because-coronavirus. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.