Inclusion is about all of us. We want everyone to feel safe to be themselves and free to be who they really are.
Our purpose is to support Australians by delivering high quality services and payments on behalf of the Australian Government. To do this we focus on being inclusive in everything we do. We’re actively looking at creating places where everyone feels welcome, valued and respected.
We know having an inclusive and diverse workforce provides better quality of services and support for our customers.
Inclusion for us means being able to provide simple, helpful, respectful and transparent services to every customer. Whatever their age, cultural background or personal circumstances. It also means our people have every opportunity to contribute. Using their skills, diverse perspectives and experiences to achieve success and personal growth.
Excellence in service to our customers begins with inclusion and diversity in our agency. Our focus on inclusion is about supporting our staff to reach their full potential. Our workplace inclusion and diversity strategy, policies and initiatives define how we:
- support flexible work such as part-time work and flexible hours
- deliver diversity and inclusion training
- maintain accreditation as a breastfeeding friendly workplace
- provide workplace conditions to support people of all sexual orientations and gender identities
- celebrate days and events, promoting diversity awareness and inclusion
- support diversity specific employee networks, connecting staff to share their views, experiences and information.
We’re proud to be recognised as an inclusive employer by Diversity Council Australia. This was thanks to our positive results in the 2021 and 2022 Inclusive Employers Index.
We were named a ‘Gold Employer’ at the 2022 Australian LGBTQ Inclusion Awards. We’ve made improvements across our agency, including how we support transgender and gender diverse staff.
We’ve also partnered with the Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) to support their Racism. It Stops with Me campaign. This campaign seeks to progress the conversation on race and racism in Australia, and provide resources and tools to help everyone engage in active anti-racism.
Where to find more information
Read more information about how we’re:
- supporting diversity and inclusion as an inclusive employer
- removing barriers to employment for people with autism through our Aurora Neurodiversity Program
- providing employment support for LGBTI+ staff
- providing employment support for people with disability
- providing employment support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people through the Indigenous Apprenticeships Program
- providing Medicare services for Indigenous Australians
- providing Multicultural Service Officers to assist migrants and refugee communities
- working with multicultural organisations
- providing customers with the option to access information in your language
- encouraging customers to update their gender details.