If you need a payment or support

There’s support available if you or your family were affected by coronavirus (COVID-19).

If you need a payment

High-Risk Settings Pandemic Payment is support if you work in a high-risk setting and can’t earn an income because you have tested positive for COVID-19.

If you need another payment or service, read more about getting a Centrelink payment.

If you need other support

Our social workers provide short-term counselling and can refer you to other services.

The Financial Information Service can speak with you about money matters.

Our service centres

Our service centres are open. In line with health advice we may limit the number of staff and customers inside our service centres. You may need to wear a face mask.

You can do most of your Medicare, Centrelink or Child Support business with us online through myGov.

If you can’t do your business online, you can call us.

Page last updated: 17 November 2022.