How to get one

To get a Medicare Entitlement Statement (MES) you need to either apply online using myGov or fill in a form.

Apply online

There are 2 ways to apply online.

The easiest way is using the Medicare Entitlement Statement (MES) dashboard in the Individual Healthcare Identifiers service through myGov.

If your IHI service is linked to myGov, sign in now to access your MES dashboard.

Sign in to myGov

You’ll be prompted to create an IHI or link it to myGov if you don’t have these set up. You must be in Australia when you apply for an IHI so we can verify your identity.

Read about how to link the IHI service to your myGov account on the myGov website.

You can also use the MES dashboard to:

  • track the progress of your application
  • upload documents, if required in your application
  • download and print your statements.

If you request letters to be sent to your myGov Inbox, we’ll also send you a message whenever there’s an update in your MES dashboard.

Another way you can apply online is using your myGov account.

Sign in to myGov

Apply with a form

You can apply using the MES application form by:

  • downloading and completing it digitally
  • printing it and completing it by hand.

How your tax agent can apply

Your tax agent can complete the form, but you need to complete the declaration. Details on how the tax agent can submit your application are on the form.

Provide supporting documents

You may need to give us a copy of the name and photo page of your passport to prove your identity.

You may also need to give us a copy of any of these documents:

  • your current visa
  • the letter from the Department of Home Affairs showing the date your application for permanent residency was received
  • the letter from the Department of Home Affairs showing the date your application for permanent residency was either granted, refused or withdrawn
  • the letter from either the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, Federal Court or High Court showing you appealed a refused application for permanent residency, or proof that you’ve requested ministerial intervention
  • your European Health Insurance Card or other proof of health insurance.

Your proof of health insurance must show an expiry date if you’re from one of these countries:

  • Belgium
  • Finland
  • Italy
  • the Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Slovenia
  • Sweden
  • United Kingdom.

When you upload your documents, make sure they’re:

  • clear and show all the information
  • in PDF, JPG, PNG, GIF or BMP format
  • less than 5MB each
  • less than 10MB in total.

If you upload PDFs, make sure they’re not password protected.

You can read more about how your personal information is used when you consent and agree to our privacy notice.

Page last updated: 15 June 2023.
QC 51630