on this page
You can apply for a MES by:
- applying online using your myGov account
- downloading and completing a PDF form digitally
- printing a paper version of the form and filling this in by hand.
You need to give us a certified copy of the name and photo page of your passport to prove your identity. You also need to give us some other supporting documents.
When you upload your documents, make sure:
- each document is less than 5MB
- all the documents add up to no more than 8MB in total.
If you upload PDFs, make sure they’re not password protected.
If you have a myGov account, you can complete this online. This is the fastest way to apply.
If you don’t have a myGov account you will need to create one. You need your own email address to create a myGov account.
For help, read about how to create a myGov account on the myGov website.
Downloading and completing the PDF form
To complete this form digitally read how to download and complete the MES application form.
Printing a paper version of the form
If you can’t complete the online application or complete the form digitally, you can print it and complete it by hand. Read how to print a paper version of the MES application form.
How your tax agent can apply
Your tax agent can complete the form, but you need to complete the declaration. Details on how the tax agent can submit your application are on the form.
What supporting documents you need to provide
You need to give us a certified copy of the name and photo page of your passport to prove your identity.
You may also need to give us a copy of any of these documents:
- current visa
- evidence showing you had applied for permanent residence
- evidence showing your application for permanent residence had been refused or withdrawn
- evidence from the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, Federal Court or High Court showing you appealed the decision to refuse your application for permanent residence
- evidence that your appeal for Ministerial Intervention against the decision to refuse your permanent residence application is being considered
- European Health Insurance Card or other proof of health insurance.
Your proof of health insurance must show an expiry date if you live in one of these countries:
- the Netherlands
Get certified copies
A certified copy means an authorised person has endorsed the copy of your document. They must have seen the original.
Many people can certify your documents. You can use anyone in the list of authorised witnesses on the Attorney-General’s Department website.