How to claim

There are 2 ways to claim the rebate. You can claim from your health insurer or from the Australian Taxation Office.

From your health insurer

You can claim the rebate as an upfront reduction to your private health insurance premium. We’ll pay the rebate to your health insurer and they’ll reduce the cost of your premium. Register with your health insurer to do this. They'll give you a form to fill in or tell you what you need to do.

You can also use our form and submit it to your health fund. Complete the Application to receive the Australian Government Rebate on Private Health Insurance as a reduced premium form.

From the Australian Taxation Office

You can claim the rebate through your tax return if you don’t get it as a premium reduction. Your health insurer will send you a statement at the end of the financial year. This will help you fill in your tax return.

Read more about how to claim private health insurance rebate through your tax return on the Australian Taxation Office website.

Page last updated: 23 April 2024.
QC 51733