How to claim

Complete the following steps to claim Dad and Partner Pay. Before you start, check if you can get it.

You can apply for the maximum 2 weeks of Dad and Partner Pay. You need to apply no more than 50 weeks after the birth or adoption of your child.

The best time to apply is before the birth or adoption of your child. Read more about when to claim.

We can’t pay you before the birth or adoption of your child. Before your payments can start, you need to do both of the following:

Steps to claim Dad and Partner Pay


    1. Talk to your employer

    Talk to your employer at least 10 weeks before your child’s expected date of birth or adoption. Tell them if you want to claim Dad and Partner Pay and negotiate your unpaid leave.


    2. Get ready to claim

    The easiest way to claim is online. To claim online, you need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.

    You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.

    You may need to prove your identity with us before you start your claim.


    3. Make your claim

    If you can claim online

    If your Centrelink account is linked to myGov you can apply online.

    To do this:

    1. Sign in to myGov.
    2. Select Make a claim or view claim status, then Make a claim.
    3. Under Families select Get started.
    4. Select Apply for Family Assistance Payments (including Paid Parental Leave) then follow the prompts to complete your claim.

    Sign in to myGov

    If you can’t claim online

    If you can’t claim online you can do one of the following:


    4. Track your claim

    After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you all of the following:

    • the ID number of your claim
    • the date we estimate your claim will be complete
    • a link to track its progress.

    You can track the progress of your claim online. Sign in to myGov and select Make a claim or view claim status.

    Sign in to myGov

    You can also use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

    We’ll let you know the result of your application. We’ll send a message to your myGov Inbox.

    If you don’t get electronic letters, we’ll send you a letter in the mail.

    If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.

    If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.

Page last updated: 6 April 2023.
QC 43106