Giving us information

When you claim Dad and Partner Pay you’ll need to give us some information before and after your child's birth or adoption.

What we need for your claim

When you claim online, we’ll tell you what supporting documents you need to give us to complete your claim.

You’ll need all of the following:

We’ll also ask for details about all of the following:

We need your income details for the financial year, either:

  • before the date you lodge your claim
  • before the date your Dad and Partner Pay period starts, whichever is earlier.

If you claim after your child’s birth or adoption, we need proof of your child’s birth or adoption. If your partner has claimed a payment and provided proof to us already, we’ll use it for your claim. You won’t need to provide it again.

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov, sign in now to submit documents.

Sign in to myGov

You can also submit documents by:

What you need to provide after the birth or adoption of your child

If you’re the parent of a newborn, you’ll need to register or apply to register the birth.

Read about how to register the birth of your baby in your state or territory. These links will take you away from our site.

State or territory Resources
NSW Register a birth on the Services NSW website.
Vic Register a birth on the Victoria births, deaths and marriages website.
Qld Register a birth on the Queensland Government website.
SA Register a birth on SA.GOV.AU
WA Register a birth on
Tas Register your newborn on the Tasmanian Government website.
NT Register a birth on NT.GOV.AU
ACT Birth registration on the Access Canberra website.

You or your partner need to give us proof of birth or adoption so we can finalise your claim. You have several options for giving us proof of birth or adoption. We can’t pay your Dad and Partner Pay until we have this information.

Page last updated: 12 May 2023.
QC 44381