This program is an exciting opportunity for people new to the APS who want to:
- learn new skills
- gain valuable workplace experience
- complete a formal qualification.
It doesn’t matter where you’re from or what age you are, you just need to meet the eligibility criteria.
Past apprentices have come from all over Australia and are from all age groups. Last year, apprentices joined from:
- cities including Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth, Canberra and Hobart
- regional areas including Borroloola, Cairns, Thursday Island, Broome, Tamworth, Alice Springs and Yeppoon.
We’re looking for people who:
- identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- are keen to learn
- want to make a positive difference in the lives of Australians
- want to start their career in the APS.
To be eligible to apply, you must confirm your:
- Indigenous heritage
- Australian citizenship.
You must provide confirmation of heritage and proof of citizenship as part of your application.
This program is for new entrants to the APS and staff who want a permanent ongoing role.
It does not ordinarily suit candidates who are already permanent ongoing staff in the APS.
Skills and qualifications
The program is all about on-the-job training, so you don’t need any experience or qualifications. We prefer if you’ve completed year 10.
The skills you’ll learn will vary depending on the department or agency you’re working for. They may include:
- drafting documents
- corporate and customer support
- managing travel
- stakeholder management.