The MBS items online checker enables you to:
- view and check patient eligibility based on their MBS history
- check your own eligibility for claiming MBS items
- check claiming conditions for MBS items
This checker helps you make informed treatment decisions and avoid rejected claims.
Using the checker
The checker will tell you all of the following:
- if you’re eligible to claim the item
- if your patient is eligible for the service
- any conditions.
Some MBS items have restrictions that relate to the provider number linked to your practice location.
If you’re checking a Care Plan item number, you must enter this individually to ensure the result is accurate.
To use the checker:
- select Items from the main menu in HPOS
- select MBS Items Online Checker
- enter your patient's Medicare details
- declare that you’ve received the patient's consent
- select the provider stem from the first dropdown box and the location and check digit from the second dropdown box
- check MBS item(s) checkbox against the item number you want to check
- select Search to perform the check.
The search results will show patient eligibility for each of the items you selected. It will also tell you if there are any conditions for your patient with the result.