MBS programs and initiatives for allied health professionals
Allied health practitioners must register with Medicare to be eligible to provide services under the following initiatives.
Chronic Disease Management
Chronically ill patients who have a GP Management Plan and Team Care Arrangement can access Medicare benefits for allied health services.
Read these education guides about:
- Chronic disease GP management plans and team care arrangements
- Chronic disease individual allied health services Medicare items 10950-10970.
You can get referral forms and resources for Chronic Disease Management on the Department of Health website.
Better Access means patients can get Medicare benefits for selected mental health services provided by eligible:
- social workers
- occupational therapists.
- Better Access to mental health care for eligible practitioners and allied health professionals
- Better Access to Psychiatrists, Psychologists and General Practitioners through the MBS (Better Access) initiative on the Department of Health website.
Better Start for Children with Disability
Medicare benefits are available for the early diagnosis and treatment of children with an eligible disability.
- Medicare items for Better Start for Children with Disability initiative
- Disability – Better Start for Children with Disability initiative on the Department of Health website.
Helping Children with Autism
Children with autism or other pervasive developmental disorders can get Medicare benefits for assessment, diagnosis and the creation of a treatment and management plan.
Children with both an eligible disability and autism or other pervasive developmental disorder can access either:
- the Better Start for Children with Disability initiative
- the Helping Children with Autism program on the Department of Health website.
Page last updated: 5 March 2020