Income from employment

If you or your partner get income from employment you need to tell us. This is so we can pay you the right amount.

Reporting the employment income you and your partner get is important. You need to report for the whole reporting period, including the first and last days. Report the gross employment income your employer paid you during your reporting period as shown on your payslip.

We need to know all of the following:

  • the gross amount each employer paid you during your reporting period as shown on your payslip.
  • this includes your standard pay as well as other gross pay rates like overtime or penalty hours
  • the total hours you worked.

If you get leave payments, you must tell us what kind of leave you get. Paid Parental Leave and Dad and Partner Pay are different to regular leave payments.

When you go to your Centrelink online account to report your employment income you may see your employers’ details prefilled. If the details are wrong or we haven’t included them you can add them or reject them. If you reject them, you can then enter the correct details.

If you have multiple employers, each one may be pre-filled in your online account. This will save you having to add new employer details each time you report.

Report the gross amount your employer paid you during your reporting period, as shown on your payslip. Make sure you report all gross employment income your employer paid you.

Remember to note your hours each time you work. You can use keep track of the hours you work in your Centrelink online account through myGov, in the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app or on the earnings worksheet form.

Don't forget to keep records. We may ask you to show proof of your employment income, such as payslips.

Find out more about payslips and what your employer should include on payslips by visiting the Fair Work Ombudsman website.

What you need to tell us about leave payments

If you take leave from work you need to report how much of your income in the reporting period was:

  • paid leave
  • hours you worked, including any paid sick leave hours.

You have 14 days to tell us about leave income at a different rate from your normal income.

You must tell us if your employer pays you a lump sum of leave. This includes leave you built up but didn’t take time off for. We count this differently from other leave.

Paid Parental Leave

Parental Leave Pay and Dad and Partner Pay count as income. You don’t need to report these payments to us. We’ll include them when working out your payment.

Read more about Paid Parental Leave counted as income.

What types of income there are

Employment income from more than 1 job

You need to report your employment income from each job separately.

Keep track of your employment income from different jobs by using a different earnings worksheet form for each employer.

Severance or redundancy

You need to tell us if you leave your job and get a severance or redundancy payment. Your Centrelink payment may stop for a period of time. We call this an income maintenance period.


If you make voluntary superannuation contributions, it counts as income. We include this in your assessable income when we work out how much to pay you.

What a nil payment period is

A nil payment period starts when you report employment income over a certain amount and it reduces your income support payment to $0. This includes your partner’s employment income.

Usually, a nil payment period can be up to 6 fortnights in a row. After 6 fortnights in a row, we’ll cancel your payment if your employment income is still too high. If you get a payment from us of at least $1 before the end of the 6 fortnights, we won’t cancel your payment.

What other things we need to know

When you report your income you must also tell us about any changes in your circumstances.

If you need to tell us about changes to child support

Changes in circumstances can change how much child support you get or pay. To tell us about changes, you can either:

Read about changes that affect your child support.

If your situation changes or you make a mistake

You must tell us if you report wrong amounts of employment income or about any changes in your circumstances. If you don’t, we may pay you too much. This means you’ll have a debt to pay back.

Read about owing money.

Page last updated: 25 August 2021