After your claim settles or reaches judgment

You have 2 years from the date your compensation case settled to return an overdue Medicare history statement.

You can return your overdue history statement within 2 years of your compensation case settling. To have your overdue Medicare history statement and Declaration processed:

Step 1 - Request a new Medicare history statement and Declaration

Write, email or fax the Medicare Compensation Recovery team. We’ll send you a new Medicare history statement and Declaration to complete.

Step 2 - Send us your documents

Send us the completed statement and Declaration within 28 days. The address is on the form. If you need more than 28 days, call the Medicare Compensation Recovery line.

Step 3 - Notice of charge

We’ll send you a Notice of charge. This will tell you how much you need to repay. You may get a refund if you owe less than you’ve already paid.

Asking for a review

If you’ve received a letter from us saying your statement is not substantially correct. You can ask the Administrative Appeals Tribunal to review our decision.

The Administrative Appeals Tribunal
GPO Box 9955
In your capital city

The Administrative Appeals Tribunal provides independent reviews of government decisions. Read more about what the Administrative Appeals Tribunal does on their website.

Page last updated: 23 July 2019