Approved courses

You must be studying a Student Start-up Loan approved course to be eligible for the loan.

These are different to approved courses for other student payments.

Your course is a Student Start-up Loan approved course if it’s offered at a higher education institution like a university. The course must be either:

  • an accredited higher education course, for example a bachelor degree
  • a preparatory course, for example a bridging course.

Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses, aren’t approved for the Student Start-up Loan.

Most courses at a TAFE are VET courses and aren’t approved. The exception is accredited higher education courses studied at TAFE.

Page last updated: 8 November 2019