Payments, concessions and support

There are other payments, concessions and help available for people who get Age Pension.


There are other payments you may be eligible for if you get Age Pension.

Advance payment

If you get Age Pension, you may be able to get part of it as an advance payment. You pay it back later out of your payments from us.

Carer Allowance

You could get Carer Allowance each fortnight for giving additional daily care to someone who either:

  • has disability
  • has a serious illness
  • is frail aged.

Essential Medical Equipment Payment

You could get a yearly Essential Medical Equipment Payment to help with energy costs to run either:

  • medical equipment
  • medically required heating or cooling.

Energy Supplement

An extra payment to help with your energy costs. You will get Energy Supplement with your Age Pension each fortnight.

Pension Loans Scheme

You can apply for a voluntary non-taxable loan from us under the Pension Loans Scheme. You’ll get a payment each fortnight and you can pay it back at any time. The loan accrues compound interest each fortnight until the loan is repaid.

Pension Supplement

An extra payment to help with your bills and medicine costs. You may get Pension Supplement with your Age Pension each fortnight.

Remote Area Allowance

If you live in an identified remote area you could get Remote Area Allowance each fortnight.

Rent Assistance

If you pay rent we might add Rent Assistance to your Age Pension to help with this cost.

You may also be able to get other payments depending on your situation. Read more about payments for older Australians.


If you get Age Pension, a Pensioner Concession Card gives you cheaper health care, medicine and some discounts.

Read more about the benefits of the card.


We have support services you may be interested in.


Centrepay is a free and voluntary service to pay bills and expenses as regular deductions from your Age Pension.

Financial Information Service

Our free Financial Information Service can inform and educate you about financial matters.

Grandparent Advisers

Our Grandparent Advisers help grandparents and non parent carers who provide ongoing care for children.

Centrelink Indigenous Call Centre

If you’re Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian you can call the Centrelink Indigenous Call Centre about our payments and services.

Multicultural Service Officers

Our Multicultural Service Officers help migrant and refugee communities connect with our services.

Rent Deduction Scheme

Use the Rent Deduction Scheme to pay your public housing rent straight from your Age Pension.

Social work services

If you’re going through a difficult time, our social workers can help you.

Tax Deduction Service

You can use the Tax Deduction Service to pay tax on your Age Pension.

Work Bonus

You can earn more income from working, if you’re an eligible pensioner, without reducing your Age Pension. We call this the Work Bonus.

Page last updated: 27 November 2019