If you’re an eligible health professional (or their HPOS delegate), you can quickly update medical exemptions by using either:
If you’re unsure whether your software can transmit medical exemptions, contact your software developer.
If you submit an immunisation medical exemption using the form upload function in HPOS Messages:
- it must be lodged using the HPOS account of the health professional who signed the form, or their nominated HPOS delegate
- it can take up to 14 days to update an individual’s AIR record.
- we may contact you to confirm the details
Download and complete the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) - immunisation medical exemption form.
Only eligible health professionals can use this form.
These are general practitioners defined by the Health Insurance Act 1973 as:
- fellows of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
- fellows of the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine
- on Medicare’s Vocation Register of General Practitioners.
You’re also eligible to use this form if you’re one of these:
- practice registrar on an approved 3GA training placement
- public health physician
- infectious diseases physician
- clinical immunologist.
ATAGI clinical advice
The Department of Health website provides Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) Expanded Guidance on temporary medical exemptions for COVID-19 vaccines.
This PDF is fillable. You can fill it out on your device, or print it and complete it by hand.
If you have a disability or impairment and use assistive technology, you may not be able to access our forms. If you can’t, please contact us. We can help you access, complete and submit them.