If you’re an eligible health professional (or their HPOS delegate), you can quickly update medical exemptions by using either:
If you’re unsure whether your software can transmit medical exemptions, contact your software developer.
If you submit an immunisation medical exemption using the form upload function in HPOS Messages:
- it must be lodged using the HPOS account of the health professional who signed the form, or their nominated HPOS delegate
- it can take up to 14 days to update an individual’s AIR record
- we may contact you to confirm the details.
Download and complete the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) - immunisation medical exemption form.
Only eligible health professionals can use this form. You are eligible to use this form if you’re a:
- general practitioner, as defined in the Health Insurance Act 1973
- practice registrar on an approved 3GA training placement
- public health physician
- infectious diseases physician
- clinical immunologist.
ATAGI clinical advice
The Department of Health and Aged Care website provides Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) Expanded Guidance on temporary medical exemptions for COVID-19 vaccines.
To fill in this form digitally you will need a computer and Adobe Acrobat Reader, or a similar program. You can download Adobe Acrobat Reader for free. If you can’t complete the form digitally, you can print it, complete it by hand and return it to us following the instructions on the form.
If you have a disability or impairment and use assistive technology, you may not be able to access our forms. If you can’t, please contact us. We can help you access, complete and submit them.