on this page
Make sure you include your LSPN on both of the following:
- patient accounts and receipts
- each claim for diagnostic imaging or radiation oncology services.
Your registration and accreditation to provide diagnostic imaging services must be:
- current on the date you performed the service
- specific to the location.
Read MBS Online to find MBS item numbers and payment rates for Diagnostic Imaging Services Table (DIST) Category 5 services.
Read more about effective and maximum equipment life ages on the Department of Health and Aged Care’s website.
Confirming eligibility to provide Positron Emission Tomography (PET) services
The Joint Nuclear Medicine Credentialing and Accreditation Committee must give accreditation to individual providers to claim Medicare benefits for PET services. When you get accreditation, complete the Positron emission tomography - statutory declaration form.
Getting a remote area exemption
Individual providers can apply for a remote area exemption for a written referral to claim R‑type diagnostic imaging services. You can do this if there are no equivalent NR-type diagnostic imaging items.
You may get an exemption if either:
- the referral requirements would cause a patient physical or financial hardship
- your practice location is in a remote area.
Read MBS Online for rules and requirements when applying for a remote area exemption.