The child getting care must meet all of the following:
- have a recognised disability or score high enough on the Disability Care Load Assessment (Child) Determination 2010 (DCLAD)
- be likely to have the illness or disability for at least 12 months, unless it’s terminal
- need care from the carer in their home or in hospital.
If you care for 2 children under 16
We may pay Carer Allowance if both:
- you provide care for 2 children under 16
- their care needs add up to the same care as for 1 eligible child.
The carer and the health professional who treat each child getting care must answer questions for the DCLAD.