To claim Medicare benefits allied health professionals must:
- meet the qualification requirements set out in the Health Insurance (Allied Health Services) Determination 2014
- be registered with the AHPRA or a respective board or organisation
- be recognised as an allied health professional in their field by us
- be in private practice
- be working in a private capacity.
An allied health professional is also eligible for registration under the allied health professional initiative if they’re employed by:
an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community Controlled Health Service, or a state or territory clinic that has an exemption under subsection 19(2) of the Act.
Allied health professionals who may qualify include:
- Aboriginal Health Workers
- diabetes educators
- exercise physiologists
- mental health nurses
- occupational therapists
- social workers
- speech pathologists.