Who can get it

You must meet eligibility rules to get Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA).

To get DRA you must meet all of the following. You:

You don’t need to have lost all your income to be eligible for this payment.

We use Australian Bureau of Statistics figures to tell us what the average weekly income is. The average weekly income before tax is:

  • $1,769.80 before 1 January 2024
  • $1,838.60 from 1 January 2024.

When you can’t get this payment

You can’t get DRA if you get any of the following income support payments during your claim period:

You can read more about Service Pensions on the Department of Veterans’ Affairs website.

You also can’t get DRA if you get any of the following payments or allowances during your claim period:

If you’re getting FHA and want to claim DRA, you’ll need to cancel your FHA payment. You can cancel your payment by contacting the Farmer Assistance Hotline. When your DRA payment finishes, you’ll need to lodge a new FHA claim.

If you're getting Self-Employment Allowance, you can speak to your provider about pausing your payment. This is so you can claim DRA. You can read more about Self-Employment Assistance on the Workforce Australia website.

If you’re aged between 16 and 21

If you're aged between 16 and 21, you can't get DRA if all of the following apply on 4 January 2024:

  • you're dependent on another person who isn't your partner
  • you're not a parent
  • your partner isn't a parent.
Page last updated: 19 March 2024.
QC 65594