Who can get it

You must meet eligibility rules to get the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment.

To get this payment, you must be:

  • an Australian resident or hold an eligible visa
  • in an eligible Local Government Area
  • claiming this payment for Northern Territory, Northern Region Flooding, February 2023 once
  • 16 or older at the time of the Northern Territory, Northern Region Flooding, February 2023 or getting an income support payment.

You or a dependent child you’re a principal carer for must have been seriously affected by the Northern Territory, Northern Region Flooding, February 2023. For example:

  • the disaster caused major damage to your home or a major asset at your home
  • you were seriously injured
  • you’re the immediate family member of an Australian citizen or resident who died or is missing.

If you’re part of a couple, you can both claim this payment. You and your partner will need to make separate claims.

You can’t claim on behalf of a person who has died, or their estate.

We will let you know the outcome of your claim.

If you want to discuss the outcome of your claim, you can call us on the Emergency information line.

What these terms mean

For this payment, we use the following definitions.

Principal carers of children

You’re a principal carer of a child if the child’s 15 or younger and dependent on you. That means you have legal responsibility for the day-to-day care, welfare and development of the child.

Principal place of residence

Your principal place of residence is the main place where you have a right or licence to live. It doesn’t include holiday homes or investment properties.

Major damage

Your principal place of residence has experienced major damage if, for example:

  • it’s been destroyed or must be demolished
  • it’s been declared structurally unsound this disaster has exposed the interior to the elements
  • sewage has gotten inside your home
  • this disaster has significantly damaged a major asset or assets you own at your property.

You may also be eligible if this disaster has caused major damage to the interior of your principal place of residence. Examples include:

  • flooring or furniture needs refinishing or replacing
  • metal has begun to rust, pit and corrode and needs replacing.

Major asset

A major asset is an asset or assets with a combined market value of $20,000 or more. For example, this can include buildings, vehicles, caravans, water tanks or large scale machinery.

Contact numbers available on this page.

Emergency information line

Call this line if you’re affected by a natural disaster and need help to claim a payment.

Natural disaster payment support

Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm. 

There are other ways you may want to contact us.

Page last updated: 30 May 2023.
QC 64564