Who can get it

You must meet eligibility rules to get the New Zealand Disaster Recovery Allowance.

To get it, all of the following must be met.


  • hold a non-protected Special Category Visa (subclass 444)
  • be a non-resident under the Social Security Act 1991
  • have paid tax in Australia for at least one year in the past three financial years, or will do so before 4 October 2023.

You must also meet all of the following. You:

  • were 16 or older at the time of the floods
  • work or live in an affected Local Government Area (LGA)
  • lost income as a direct result of the floods
  • earn less than the average Australian weekly income in the weeks after you had this income loss.

We use Australian Bureau of Statistics figures to work out the average weekly income. On 9 August 2021, this was $ 1,737.10 per week.

If you’re part of a couple, you can both claim this payment. You and your partner will need to make separate claims.

If you’re aged between 16 and 21

If you’re between 16 and 21, we must consider you to be independent to get this payment.

We’ll look at all of the following:

  • your income
  • your personal circumstances
  • if you’re dependent on anyone, such as an adult who has legal responsibility for your care and provides financial assistance.

When you can’t get this payment

You can’t get NZ DRA if you get any of the following payments during your claim period:

Page last updated: 5 October 2022