Who can get it

To get this Crisis Payment you must meet the eligibility criteria.

You must contact us within 14 days of entering quarantine or self-isolation, or caring for someone who is.

We consider you to have made contact if you start a claim for one of these:

  • a payment or concession card
  • this crisis payment.

You can make contact in either of the following ways:

  • begin a claim using your Centrelink Online account
  • call us on your regular payment line.

After contacting us, you then have another 14 days to submit your claim.

You must be in Australia when you submit your claim.

Can’t get it

You can’t get this payment if you’ve already had the payment twice in the last 6 months.

You also can’t get it if:

  • you’re staying home but leaving for essential activities, such as shopping or work
  • you’re staying home to avoid getting COVID-19, even if your health professional told you to
  • you’re caring for a person who is in quarantine or self-isolation in a hospital
  • someone else has already got it to provide care to the same person
  • your evidence is a negative rapid antigen test (RAT) result.

Eligibility criteria

You can get it if all of the following apply:

  • you’re eligible for an income support payment or ABSTUDY Living Allowance from us
  • you’re in severe financial hardship
  • you, or someone you’re caring for, are in quarantine or self-isolation because you are waiting for COVID-19 test results or have COVID-19.

The COVID-19 test must be a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or positive RAT result.

You, or the person you are caring for, must be in quarantine or self-isolation because any of the following required you to be:

  • the Australian Government
  • a state or territory government
  • a health professional.

You can be in quarantine or self-isolation at home, in a motel, hospital or any other appropriate place.

You must submit evidence with your claim.

Evidence can include any of the following:

  • a text message or document confirming a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) COVID-19 test
  • a text message or document showing the results of a PCR COVID-19 test
  • a text message or document showing you reported a positive RAT result as required in your state or territory.

You may be asked to submit evidence of financial hardship.

If you’re caring for someone in quarantine or self-isolation

The person you’re caring for must be a member of your immediate family or household.

Your immediate family means your partner, child, grandchild, parent, sibling or grandparent.

Caring for someone means you’re providing daily care or support such as:

  • administering medication
  • bathing
  • preparing meals.

Page last updated: 16 May 2022