When you can get a payment as a part-time student

Published: 25 March 2024

There are some circumstances where you don’t have to be studying full-time to get Youth Allowance or Austudy.

If your circumstances change and you can’t study full-time, we may still pay you if:

  • your university cancels a subject
  • you have a timetable clash and can’t study something else
  • you have a temporary medical condition or illness that stops you from studying full-time.

If you can’t study full-time or you stop studying, let us know within 14 days.

Read more about how to tell us when your circumstances change if you get an education payment.

Subscribe to news

If you haven't already, please subscribe to our News and we'll send you regular news highlights. You can also opt out at any time. Read more about our email news privacy policy.

Life events

RSS News feed

Our RSS service alerts you to updates to this page. You can connect to our RSS feeds with your favourite RSS reader.

News for Education RSS feed

Page last updated: 25 March 2024.
QC 65819